For Members purchasing travel cover, when you travel outside the United Kingdom you are covered by our group travel scheme administered by U.M. Association Ltd. A summary of benefits and the services available is shown below – please refer to your Insurance Officer or Administrator for the full terms and conditions of cover.
Medical Expenses — up to £10,000,000
- £25 Deductible (NB – for claimants using an EHIC to reduce the cost of treatment the £25 deductible will be waived)
- Including Supplementary Travel Expenses
- In-patient supplementary benefit outside UK – £50 each 24 hours for up to 1 year
- Including Search and Rescue Expenses
Personal Property/Business Equipment – up to £5,000
- £25 Deductible (Increased to £100 in respect of Business Equipment and 10% of claim in respect of laptop computers)
- Emergency Purchases – £750
- Single Article Limit – £1,500 (Increased to £2000 in respect of laptop computers)
- NOTE:You must report any loss, theft or damage either to the local police or, where appropriate, the airline (or other carrier) within 24 hours and obtain a written report.
Money – up to £2,500
- £25 Deductible
- Credit Card Misuse – £1,500 (payable in addition to Money limit)
- Loss of Passport – £1,500 (payable in addition to Money limit)
- Cash Limit – £1,000
- NOTE:You must report any loss or theft to the local Police within 24 hours and obtain a written report.
Disruption – up to £7,500
- Cancellation up to £7,500 – Any reasonable cause outside the control of the travelling Person (prior to departure).
- Curtailment up to £7,500 – Specified causes
- Rearrangement up to £7,500 – Any reasonable cause occuring outside the control of the travelling Person (after departure).
- Travel Delay – £100 for the first 12 hours and £50 for each further 12 hours, up to a maximum of £500, if strike, weather conditions, or breakdown causes delayed departure of your aircraft or other public transport.
- Hi-jack – £100 for each day you are detained.
- Maximum Any One Event – £250,000
Personal Accident – up to £50,000
- Up to £50,000 payable in the event of accidental death, loss of limb or eye or permanent inability to work again.
- Up to £1,500 payable in respect of funeral expenses.
Personal Liability – up to £2,000,000
- Up to £2,000,000 if you become legally liable to pay damages in respect of: accidental bodily injury (which includes death illness and disease) to any person
accidental loss of or damage to material property.
- Reimbursement of evacuation expenses up to £50,000 following formal advice to leave the destination country.
Legal Expenses (underwritten by First Assist Group) – up to £25,000
- Up to £25,000 to help you recover damages or compensation from a third party following any event which results in Bodily Injury to you or financial loss suffered resulting from the breach of any travel or accommodation contract
- Up to £25,000 to help you in the defence of Criminal Proceedings brought against you.
- Legal Proceedings entered into in the USA or Canada are not covered.
In the Event of a Claim
Claim forms are available for printing directly from our website at: Travel Claim Forms. Alternatively, contact your Institution’s Insurance Officer or Administrator for a claim form.
Frequently asked travel questions
Some of the more general queries Members have raised are detailed, with the answers below. Please do not hesitate to call us for clarification on any aspects of cover.
Is terrorism excluded?
The UMAL scheme has no exclusions in respect of acts of terrorism. As such, the cover is far wider than would normally be found elsewhere. There are however limits on the overall amounts payable in respect of claims arising from terrorism.
Members and travellers should however, be aware that whilst there is, in common with all such covers, a War Risks exclusion, this would only apply to a war between the Major Powers and/or a war in Europe.
We recommend that Members and all intending travellers view our Travel Security Online page which links to country-by-country information provided by Control Risks.
Is there any cover for hi-jacks?
The UMAL scheme does include cover for hi-jack, which pays a daily benefit for the period in which the hi-jacked person is in the custody of a hi-jacker to a maximum of 12 months. It also includes cover for additional travel and accommodation costs.
What if the airline goes bankrupt?
The travel cover excludes the financial failure of any transport or accommodation supplier so we would be unable to assist in this eventuality.
Disinclination to travel
Whilst unexpected circumstances necessitating cancellation or curtailment of your journey will considered under the scheme, this does have to be necessary and unavoidable. Contact us for clarification if needed.
Useful web links
Control Risks Group
Their webpage on hostile environments and coping with need for travel and trade within those areas can be found by clicking on the following link: Control Risk Group
Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Foreign advice can be found on www.fco.gov.uk
If you have any questions on the above, or any other travel topic, please contact our travel specialist Leon Martin by any of the following:
Tel: 020 7847 8681
Fax: 020 7847 8689